Sunday, February 26, 2012

Big Dinner

Tonight I made a hug, not at all user friendly meal. It was my Great-Grandmother's 96th birthday and I had the pleasure of cooking for it. Luckily, I got to use my mother's kitchen.
Now, I have to say. I am a pretty good good. If I may gloat a bit, I am a really good cook, most of the time. But this comes from being the daughter of an excellent cook and the granddaughter of an exceptional cook. My mother and grandfather have instilled some very good cooking habits in me that I would not be as capable without.
The grandmother who I cooked for is also a great cook who taught me how to make simple and fulfilling meals for a family. Her cooking is basic but comforting. There is so much to be said for that older style of cooking. It brings a sense of home.
Tonight I made a roast pork, saute`d celery, green beans with an olive relish, roasted potatoes, and a red velvet cake roll. Aside from the potatoes, all the recipes came from the food network magazine and the everyday food magazine. Those two are my usual standbys and really, if you are just starting out cooking for others/your family they are a great go to. Easy to read directions, accessible ingredients, and not too fussy in nearly every way.

The potatoes on the other hand are my standard go to for dinner, I make them all the time. Cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks, toss in olive oil and some kosher salt, pepper, and italian seasoning. Throw them on a sheet pan and into an oven that has been preheated to 450. Leave them there for 40 minutes. Check around the 30 minute mark and turn if need be. So delicious and easy. Everyone raves over them and can't stop eating. I also like to use yukon gold potatoes if I have them. They seem to work best.

No comments:

Post a Comment