Saturday, April 9, 2011

Spaetzle is delicious

Today I woke up some of my German roots and made spaetzle. These little dumplings/noodles work with everything. They are great sauteed with some butter and a little crispy. Also, wonderful with just about any sauce or protein. This recipe may not be the truest of spaetzle but I don't care. They taste good.

Ok, my recipe starts with:
  • 3 cups of flour
  • 2 eggs
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1 1/4 cups of water
  • 2 TBS melted butter
  1. Mix the flour, salt, and eggs together
  2. Slowly add the water until you get a smooth dough. A consistency between bread dough and pancake batter.Stir with a wooden spoon until you get some bubbles and the dough sticks together.
  3. Then add the melted butter and stir until well combined. 
  4. Have a bot of salted boiling water ready. This is where I change things up from traditional methods. German housewives have an amazing technique where they have a smooth cutting board and scrape the dough off in thin strips into boiling water. I can't do that. Then you could buy a spaetzle maker, I don't have one. You could use the colander method and squish the dough through the holes of a large holed colander. I don't have one of those. So I use my trusty slotted spoon. It is basically the colander method but on a smaller scale.
  5. Use one of the many spaetzle forming methods and drop the dumplings into boiling water. Let them float to the surface and cook for about 1-2 minutes. Do this in several batches and DO NOT crowd the spaetzle in the pot. They will glob together.

6. Scoop out the spaetzle into another colander with a bowl under it. I like to take the water that drains and dump it back into the pot of boiling water so I don't lose to much cooking water for the last batches.


What to do with these weird looking yummy things.
  1. Sautee the cooked spaetzle in a pan with some butter and make sure to let it get a little crispy and browned. 
  2. Eat until you can't move.

No comments:

Post a Comment